Thursday 28 June 2012

The Kit #1: My Favourite Basics


Note: This is an old entry reposted from my old blog called Boudoir Angel on Tumblr. I'm reposting all of these old entries because I plan to delete my old blog and consolidate everything to this one. Some posts may have its text updated and/or reformatted slightly according to the platform change.

If I were to name a mere three make-up items I keep handy, it would be mascara, eye shadow, and lipstick. In that order.

Having gone to a private, all-girls' school, I grew up with a whole host of restrictions, not the least of which were restrictions on what I could and could not wear at school where most of my social activities were focused. At the time, I had to keep my selections to the barest minimum which consisted of lip balm, a lash curler and mascara. I knew more than most would have figured I knew however. I was an avid reader of seventeen which came from the US at the time since Summit Media had not yet brought the local version to the market yet. At least, not that I knew of.

These days, my bare minimum kit has gotten an upgrade:
  • Pressed powder/foundation - of which I am completely in love with my M.A.C. Studio Fix though I may go a little darker next time or have NC42 and a darker shade on the side handy
  • Blush - my Nichido Sunkissed gets the most use as it is the palest of my blushers
  • Lipstick - which is currently the discontinued The Face Shop Real Moisture Lipstick in PP403
  • Mascara - and I am in love with Max Factor's False Lash Effect, alternating it with Masterpiece Max
First to go, should I need to pare down, would usually be the blush. And since I"ve been using a good deal of my Myra VitaGlow since it's gotten cooler, I've discovered that applying it with a foundation brush gives me a more Photoshopped finish. It keeps my fingers clean too.

When it's really dry out I do always bring my M.A.C. Strobe Cream which does wonders when my skin gets parched. I know an increase in fluid intake will help too and I have but when my skin is parched, it's parched!

Inspired by a video on VideoJug, I have since managed to keep more than just those items in my very small make-up kit which also holds my lip balm, my lipstick, a stacking jar containing Maybelline's Dragonfly Red, Revlon's Wet Wet Red, and a random unknown lipstick, mascara, and another set of stacking jars containing 7 eye shadow powders. I also have my pocket lash curler, powder foundation, powder blush, and two eye shadow sticks.

My Suesh brushes remain in their original case and my VitaGlow and Strobe Cream are in a separate pocket in my bag.

I have learned in the past year that I don't need to put everything on to feel and look gorgeous, and it does make me wonder at the same time if, as some may assert, things you own, friends you keep, etc., can give others a sense of the kind of person you are.

I wonder what my kit says about me?


Originally posted as Boudoir Angel on Tumblr, 16 June 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...