Thursday 7 June 2012

Great finds and red lipstick pride

Note: This is an old entry reposted from my old blog called Boudoir Angel on Tumblr. I'm reposting all of these old entries because I plan to delete my old blog and consolidate everything to this one. Some posts may have its text updated and/or reformatted slightly according to the platform change.

Since a prior involvement with some self-proclaimed eco warriors, I have consciously attempted to take more seriously my prior efforts to abide by the example Captain Planet and his Planeteers tried to set.

This find was something I came across whilst browsing a mini branch of the ECHOstore with my mum. Both are from their Body Basics line and contain peppermint which, while I'm not fond of eating, I am definitely fond of sniffing.



On the left is the antibacterial spray (this one is the totable kind; they do have larger bottles of this) and on the right is the lip balm. I found both to be quite refreshing though the lip balm was a bit too soft and easily melts even in the slightest heat. Moisturises perfectly though and it was what I wore underneath my first trial run for my new M.A.C. lipstick.

I love looking at red lips on other people but had never tried it for myself so this was quite the first for me.


Here I put on a coat of the aforementioned ECHOstore Body Basics Peppermint Lip Balm before applying the M.A.C. Matte Lipstick in Diva. I blotted once (I didn't know the full proper procedure for handling red lipstick at the time) then headed off for dinner.

After dinner, this is what was left:


Personally I'd say it's not bad, considering I didn't know how to make red lipstick stay put and my lips were cracking up and really dry at the time.

I noticed there was very little transfer to my drinking glass, and what little there was seemed to be coming from my lip balm and not the lipstick as there was no pigment on the rim of the glass. After I apply lip balm the dry skin on my lips flakes off like crazy. (Note to self: buff lips nightly.)

When I went to check what was left of the lipstick, the image above is what I saw. Deep red pigment intact, with a slight gloss from the lip balm.

Granted that the flash in the second picture appears stronger (I'm not sure why--must've been the angle) but I must say I am very happy with how well the pigment stayed on my lips.

As matte lipsticks are wont to do, Diva dried out my lips a tiny bit which is something I'll have to look into as wearing the matte lipstick will definitely require some form of moisture lock protection but probably not one as slick as the Body Basics Lip Balm. That or I put on the lip balm way ahead of time to give it more opportunity for absorption before lipstick application.

Over all I give Diva two thumbs up for its staying power. I'll have to experiment further and discover how I can deal with the lip balm-lipstick issue I had that night.

Other products used:

  • Max Factor Creme Puff Foundation in #13 Nouveau Beige
  • M.A.C. Studio Fix Powder + Foundation in NC42 (just on my nose to test it)
  • Allue Shimmer Cheek Blush in Arielle (I used the one on top--coral with gold shimmer)
  • L'Oreal Renewal Lash Serum
  • Fashion21 Stick Eyeshadow/Liner in Clay
  • Nichido Eye Shadow in Bronze Eclair
  • Max Factor False Lash Effect Mascara in Black

Full disclosure: The latter two images of myself were Photoshopped to improve colour and image quality. No alterations were made to make the product appear to work better than it actually does.

Originally posted as Boudoir Angel on Tumblr, 4 May 2010


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...