Wednesday 6 June 2012

From Tony Burgess on Tumblr: The Nicene Creed, A Important Statement of Faith

The Nicene Creed, A Important Statement of Faith

I haven't said this prayer in a long time. I can, perhaps, attribute the fact to it being drummed into our little schoolgirl heads that it just lost all meaning.

I love our teachers in primary and secondary school but faith isn't about textbooks and classrooms, it's about testament.

 A person I just met through Tumblr, tonyburgess, posted this. That's his blog entry on the link above. But just in case, this is what it says anyway:
We said this in church this morning. The Nicene Creed is a important statement about the Christian faith. Its a great reminder of whom Christians belong and who we are. 
We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all that is, seen and unseen. 

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, of one Being with the Father; through him all things were made. For us and for our salvation he came down from heaven, was incarnate of the Holy Spirit and the virgin Mary and became truly human. For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate; he suffered death and was buried. On the third day he rose again in accordance with the Scriptures; he ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father and the Son,* who with the Father and the Son is worshiped and glorified, who has spoken through the prophets. We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church. We acknowledge one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins. We look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.
During the time I was lost, a wise man, now a pastor, once argued with me that I ought to believe in and follow a specific path. I told him at the time that I prefer to look at things as being different languages through which the Lord chooses to reach us.

I still believe that each of us must choose the path we wish to follow. I'm still not in the habit of convincing people of one way or another, knowing and believing that those He wishes to reach will be reached no matter what. If anything, I will happily engage in conversation to convince those who do not believe that yes, He does exist. But the most important change for me is the fact that now I remember who I am, who I am of, and who I am for. And I'm never losing that again.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...