Monday 8 October 2012

Where did it go?

This is just another one of those things that make me laugh.

I've shared profile shots of myself in all my preggy belly goodness but I'd never shared frontal shots mainly because I didn't think there was much of a difference.

For the longest time I'd deluded myself into thinking that I still had a waistline to speak of because when I looked at myself in the mirror, I could still see some semblance of my hourglass shape, albeit thicker. And then came this past week: the week when I transitioned from the second to the third trimester.

First was the blow that I have lost the use of two of my pre-pregnancy leggings, a dress, and a skirt. I didn't mind so much really because I do have more than enough still to tide me over. I think.

The bigger blow came on Saturday night, after the family and I had gone on a food trip and came home full up and happy.

It sounds silly but one of my latest ways to entertain myself has been to sit still during Bean's waking moments and just watch my belly move. As the movements became larger and more vigorous, I stroked my hand over my belly in response. It may just be me but I feel like he appreciates the reaction to his motion. Then I ran my hands over my sides which were aching slightly from the ligament stretching.

I stopped.

I ran a hand on either side of my body from about chest level down to my hips. Then I laughed.

My husband looked up from his computer and asked me what I was laughing at so I stood up and walked over to his desk.

"Feel my sides," I said, taking his hands and putting them where my waist ought to have been. He did as I instructed and ran his hands up and down the same way I'd just done. Then it was his turn to laugh.

"Wow. Your waistline's disappeared!"

I used to wonder if there was really enough room in my belly for a baby that possibly measures 14 to 15 inches head to toe. I didn't feel like my belly was even expanding enough and I'd always assumed expansion of the real estate pushed forward.

Apparently, it can go sideways too.











P.S. On a related note, this has been one of the greatest annoyances that pregnancy has brought about: belly rubbing.

For goodness' sake, people, I am not Buddha! I do not grant wishes, and rubbing my belly won't bring you luck. In my family, only my husband has been "licensed" to even attempt to wait and feel for fetal movement and outside of my family, that privilege only extends to my doctor and other related medical personnel.

Please do not assume that, because I am pregnant, your advances are welcome. I have never really been into the whole touchy-feely thing, and I loathe it more now.



Hands to yourself please. This belly is off limits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...