Thursday 2 February 2012

Shelter Volunteering #1: Don't just say it--do it!

NOTE: The opinions expressed in this entry are purely my own and do not reflect those of other volunteers or the organization. Just so we're clear on that.

I spent last Saturday at a local animal shelter where I have been volunteering for the past year now and the kinds of people we encounter daily continue to amaze me.

I honestly think that one way to gauge the kind of person you're dealing with is how they deal with and/or react to animals. Not everyone likes animals, I know, but you don't have to like animals to treat them well as fellow creations of God.

Just typing that made me feel rather wishy-washy, I'll be honest. But I have seen people express concern over the situation of "poor animals on the street" and in the same breath go "why don't you do something about it?"

I don't know how many people do so, but I call them "armchair activists." I know so many of them in my life and in this line of volunteer work. It's not funny. At all.

It's sad actually, how these people always expect that there will be someone else to clean up the mess for them. I'm not saying that I like getting my hands dirty all the time--people who know me well also know that I like playing that kind of game which I'll go into further detail at a later date. (I'm more evil than I appear to be, believe me. But like I always tell my little cousin, be evil like that with good reason. Always, always with good reason and with no malicious intent. Yes, that's possible.)

Armchair activists, always seem to assume that, because you choose to be in that line of work--whether as a volunteer or as a professional--you're never doing enough to help the cause you selected. Never. And they often act like the fact that they reported the matter to you is more than enough to help the cause and you should even be grateful they took the time to call.

If they spent as much time taking action, whether to do as they kindly suggest to those of us already taking action or to think of other ways to help, perhaps things might actually work out better for everyone.

Just a thought.

NOTE: The opinions expressed in this entry are purely my own and do not reflect those of other volunteers or the organization. Just so we're clear on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...