Tuesday 7 February 2012

Good riddance to bad rubbish

Those who know me also know that I am very slow on the cleaning uptake. Believe me, I have rubbish in my boxes and shelves and whatnot that date all the way back to pre-school!

Now before anyone gets huffy on me for admitting this, I will point out now that it is not a matter of pride for me. I am merely stating a fact.

I hold on to a lot of things hoping to hold on to the memories, hoping I can reuse those things one day. Most of them fall under the first category.

I am guilty of keeping things for the most ridiculous reasons, the most ridiculous one I can recall off the bat being a guy I had a crush on in high school had gone out to the mall with me and bought me ice cream. I kept the little plastic spoon.

So now in an attempt to get a hold of myself and my brain functions, I am slowly de-cluttering my space. Or perhaps I should be more specific and say "spaces" as this "spring cleaning" applies to my physical spaces (closets, rooms...), as well as my mental, emotional, and spiritual spaces.

Friends of mine know this is a constant work in progress and I've often felt things progress on a "two steps forward, one step back" movement. It may just be me, I don't know precisely. If God could physically bop me on the head or something, I think you'd lose count of how many times that has happened/happens.

Nonetheless I keep in mind to keep my eyes and ears open constantly for all those reminders I might be missing. Notes on what I should and shouldn't be doing, what things to hold close and what to let go and when. I know I have a penchant for fighting some things when my all too human logic (or lack thereof) gets in the way.

For now I am contenting myself with eradicating physical traces of follies and foibles I need to rid myself of, whether they were mine or others'. My Day #5 Photo of the Day is evidence of that.

That said, I do take pride in the fact that the piles of paper here in the home office are clearing up slowly. My next goal is to move everything out of the office and give the whole place a good scrubbing. It needs it after the months of neglecting the regular intensive clean up.

I digress though.

Regular cleansing is important, I've realised. It's not just for cleanliness per se but it helps get things into perspective. Things that seemed so important and priceless when I was five are not as important or priceless now. And once you manage to weed out things that aren't important, you realise what really is and what you should be grateful for.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...