Monday 16 July 2012

You never realise how important it is until...

Note: This is an old entry reposted from my old blog called Boudoir Angel on Tumblr. I'm reposting all of these old entries because I plan to delete my old blog and consolidate everything to this one. Some posts may have its text updated and/or reformatted slightly according to the platform change.

I was eight when Mum took me to buy my first training bra. Later, when the further development of my breasts stopped, I became like most women who assumed the size they stopped developing at would be their size. Forever.

I would honestly credit Oprah Winfrey for opening my eyes to the fact that bra sizing is actually more complicated than taking one last measurement and sticking with it, increasing and decreasing band sizes (and possibly cup sizes) as I lost and gained weight. In fact, I very clearly remember that from the time I was a high school freshman up to the time I became a college freshman, I actually wore the same size bra, never questioning why there were strap marks on my shoulders or band marks around my rib cage, sometimes even cup marks across my chest.

However, that wasn't the only issue I had at the time. There was also the fact that the sizes available then were really woefully limited and store clerks weren't as well-informed and could not provide as much help as they should have because they weren't equipped for it.

These days, however, I've been on a quest to fit and re-fit all my brassiere to ensure maximum comfort and support at any point during my cycle and as my body mass changes.

I've learned that simply measuring and calculating your proper size isn't enough; take the time to try everything on and should the sales clerk give you nasty looks for the constant requests for different styles and sizes, ignore them or go to a higher-end store where they are swimming in perky juice and would gladly assist you in your quest for the perfect fit. (My favourites for this kind of service are Marks & Spencer and La Senza.)

It's a very liberating feeling to wear the right size bra; it's actually almost the same feeling as not wearing one except you know gravity isn't working against you. And considering how unusual my size is for a Filipino of my size and weight, I totally support importing brands as it's the only way I get the right fit. (Sorry, local industry.)

If you've never thought about it, I suggest you do. As so many fashionistas have said, a fabulous outfit begins with the right underwear.


Originally posted as Boudoir Angel on Tumblr, 17 January 2011


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...