Wednesday 18 January 2012

Just one of those things #1: Signs of Ageing

Having decided quite late what I really wanted out of life, I have only recently come to various realisations that I should have seen ages ago.

The main thing right now: age and ageing.

Having finished college late most of my clothes were generally still of the university student variety. Starting my own business with some college friends and my husband, I've since been converting my daily attire into more work-appropriate, young professional apparel.

I didn't realise, however, that I'd been neglecting one important element in my wardrobe: formal
wear.

Whereas piling on jewellery and make-up used to suffice to make one appear more dressed up, we are now at the point in our lives where we do actually need those silky dresses, chiffon layers, a hint of glitter or sequins, and several good pairs of heels.

Boy do I feel like I have a lot to catch up on.

And as I'd written in another blog, there's the addition of meeting, not for dinner, but for wine or coffee and and maybe an hour or three of conversation. It surprises me that enjoy those quiet nights so much when the memory of craving hard drinks, a socially smoked cigarette stick, and loud music is still so clear.

Yes, there are those alternative geek--all our friends, collectively, are geeks in their own right--nights I enjoy with my husband and his friends, playing board games and yelling "My wizard trumps your dwarf!" or "I'm going to destroy your city!" at each other. And I enjoy those nights as much as the quiet ones.

I suppose this is really just one of those moments when I realise how far we've come. From giggly school girls to women talking about work, businesses, husbands, wives and kids. And sipping wine all the while.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...